What Can I Do about Forehead Lines?
At some point in most people’s lives, forehead lines become something to worry about. They’re fine when raising the eyebrows but, when the face is at rest, horizontal lines do nothing but age the face. Here, we discuss how we help patients address this frustrating cosmetic problem.
What Causes Forehead Lines?
The simple answer to why we get lines and creases is that the skin changes with age. We cannot avoid this, but we can address it when we understand the mechanisms at work in the skin. Forehead lines form for two reasons. One is the decrease in collagen and elastin in the skin. As these chemicals decline, the skin gets thinner and less stretchy. The upper face is an area that moves a lot. Movement such as raising the eyebrows causes visible creases. When the eyebrows are relaxed, the creases disappear. This type of crease is referred to as a dynamic wrinkle. Over time, many dynamic wrinkles become static. They remain visible even when the face is at rest simply because they have become ingrained.
Is it Possible to Prevent Forehead Lines?
As much as we wish all lines and wrinkles could be avoided with good habits, they cannot. However, good habits can support the skin as the body ages. The key is to foster resilience for as long as possible. We can do this by:
- Avoiding too much sun exposure. SPF 30 sunscreen is a must, even when it’s cloudy. The UV light in the sunshine breaks down collagen fibers, making the skin age more quickly.
- Avoiding habits that age the skin. Smoking is a big skin-ager. The habit puts pollutants into the air right in front of the face. These pollutants can get absorbed by the skin where they degrade collagen more quickly. Drinking also ages the skin. This habit does so by dehydrating the body. So, if you drink alcohol or even caffeine, you must be mindful about staying hydrated.
- Eating nutritious whole foods. Fresh leafy greens are especially beneficial for the skin thanks to their antioxidants. Healthy fats like avocado and olive oil support cell vitality, as well.
Treating Forehead Lines
You don’t have to wait to see forehead lines before you see a dermatologist for cosmetic treatments. There are ways to postpone the formation of these worrisome creases and to smooth them once they do appear. Common options include:
- Botox, which smooths wrinkles by relaxing the muscle that causes them.
- Dermal fillers, which plump lines by binding to water molecules in the skin.
- Microneedling, which creates tiny injuries in the skin to provoke collagen regeneration.
- Fractional laser resurfacing, which affects superficial layers of tissue to accelerate tissue remodeling.
Pacific Dermatology offers several services that support aging skin. To schedule a visit to our Renton or Seattle office, call 206-859-5777.
Leave a Reply